Servicing the Call Centre and Operator community
employers staffing issues
Good practice within call centres
- Each time a user logs on, display a short checklist on screen to prompt them to make appropriate
adjustments to any of their workstation equipment as required. Allow them sufficient time to make
these adjustments before they start work.
- Have a clear and easy procedure for reporting unacceptable environmental conditions. Respond to
complaints promptly and take them seriously. Give the complainant feedback on the results of any
investigations and the reason behind any subsequent actions or decisions.
- Make disinfectant wipes available so call handlers can clean their keyboards or other workstation
equipment as required.
- Tea and coffee are diuretics so can exacerbate dehydration. Encourage call handlers to drink
plenty of water or caffeine-free soft drinks instead.
- Position a sufficient number of cold water fountains throughout the call centre so water is
available near workstations.
- Consult call handlers about the type of lighting and the level of lighting they would prefer
(obviously, the final choice has to meet legal requirements).
- Provide a rest room with adjustable lighting so call handlers can dim the lights if they so wish.
- Hold a sufficient stock of replacement items such as chairs, document holders, foot rests and
- Hold a range of different keyboards, chairs and mice etc so call handlers can immediately try
different models if their DSE assessment identifies that the standard issue is unsuitable.
- Provide individuals with sufficient lockable secure personal storage facilities.
- Conslt call handlers about when they would like to take their breaks.
Electronic performance monitoring(EPM)
- Give call handlers a mechanism for commenting on Electronic Performance Monitoring
(EPM) and respond to those comments.
- Consult call handlers about how often they would like feedback.
- Introduce a clear set of criteria against which qualitative monitoring is marked
and train team leaders so they are consistent.
- Give team leaders adequate time to give feedback
1 | 2 | 3